[Telemetry][TC]Telemetry status

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 17 11:14:03 UTC 2019

Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 15/12/19 10:20 pm, Rong Zhu wrote:
>> 1.Add Ceilometer API back
>>      Since Gnocchi is out of OpenStack and is unmaintained, we need to
>> add Ceilometer API back again.
>
> This is concerning because even the people who wrote it don't consider
> it adequate to the job. That inadequacy has been the source of
> significant reputational damage to OpenStack in the past, and many folks
> (me included) are anxious to avoid a repeat.

Yes this concerns me too, and even if we workaround the issue by adding
Ceilo API back, I'd like to have a long-term plan to solve this issue.
It seems there are several options on the table (including integrating
Monasca and Ceilometer into a single stack, and other big-bang
replacements) but it's never a one-for-one comparison as the solutions
seem to address slightly disjoint problem spaces.

I'd like to hear from more Ceilometer users. What are they using
Ceilometer for, and what long-term plans would be acceptable. There is a
trade-off between adopting short-term workarounds that reintroduce
performance issues vs. undergoing a complex migration to the "right" way
of fixing this. Like for example there is little point in pushing
Monasca/Ceilometer stack integration if most users say, like Catalyst
Cloud seems to say, that they would rather have a slow performing
Ceilometer API back.

> Telemetry is part of the TC "Approved Release" that is eligible for the
> trademark program; I think at a minimum the TC will want to remove the
> resurrected Ceilometer API from the "designated sections" that users are
> required to run to participate in any trademark program that includes
> the functionality in question. But I think that we should explore other
> ways of reducing the chance of anyone confusing this for a viable way of
> building a cloud, including possibly changing the name (Antediluvian
> API?) and having this part of the stack live outside of the official
> OpenStack project.

Legacy API?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)