[meta-sig][multi-arch] propose forming a Multi-arch SIG

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 04:35:12 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 11:33:16AM +0000, Jonathan Rosser wrote:
> openstack-ansible is ready to go on arm CI but in order to make the jobs run
> in a reasonable time and not simply timeout a source of pre-built arm python
> wheels is needed. It would be a shame to let the work that got contributed
> to OSA for arm just rot.

So ARM64 wheels are still a work-in-progress, but in the mean time we
have merged a change to install a separate queue for ARM64 jobs [1].
Jobs in the "check-arm64" queue will be implicitly non-voting (Zuul
isn't configured to add +-1 votes for this queue) but importantly will
run asynchronously to the regular queue.  Thus if there's very high
demand, or any intermittent instability your gates won't be held up.

[2] is an example of using this in diskimage-builder.

Of course you *can* put ARM64 jobs in your gate queues as voting jobs,
but just be aware with only 8 nodes available at this time, it could
easily become a bottle-neck to merging code.

The "check-arm64" queue is designed to be an automatically-running
half-way point as we (hopefully) scale up support (like wheel builds
and mirrors) and resources further.

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698606/