[ironic] ibmc driver

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 14:23:55 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM Julia Kreger <juliaashleykreger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 4:24 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:30 PM Julia Kreger <
> juliaashleykreger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Greetings fellow ironicans and stackers!
> >>
> >> I'd like some thoughts on the `ibmc` driver[1] that was added early
> >> this year. Specifically it merged into ironic with an operating
> >> Third-Party CI, however soon after a series of unfortunate events
> >> occurred where the Third-Party CI stopped reporting sometime in early
> >> May, and shortly their after restrictions were put into place[2]. With
> >> that being said, I feel like we should go ahead and remove this driver
> >> since it does not seem to be maintained nor tested.
> >

> > Do you mean deprecate and remove in V or just straight remove? I'd
> follow the regular procedure. Otherwise, it seems that we have no other
> options :(
>
> Either... Kind of why I emailed the mailing list. :) I'd lean for
> deprecated and take that route, but maybe someone has interest in
> keeping it working
>

> > An interesting topic to discuss is how to avoid such situations when a
> driver only lives 1-2 cycles..
>
> Knowing a preference may exist for us to avoid the word support, I
> feel like it was a preview that didn't pan out. I don't feel that fear
> of this happening again should change any of our patterns moving
> forward though, since that would be the exact opposite of what is
> needed to encourage adoption.

We could make all new hardware types starting in some sort of "tech
preview" state, so enabling them would require something like
enable_tech_preview_hardware_types=True in ironic.conf. It would be similar
to the staging area in Linux. The reason is my (completely ungrounded)
assumption that if a driver has survived 2 cycles, it has more chances of
surviving longer.

> We also have some drivers that do the minimal, some that are engaged,
> and some that are kind of like they have a warp drive attached. I'd
> love for us to merge the coffee driver as a POC interface to help
> people understand mechanics, fwiw. Not that we can have a coffee
> machine wired into CI.
> "launched" "has_impulse" "has_warp_drive"?

We have ironic-staging-drivers specifically for this ;)

Dmitry