[ironic] ibmc driver

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 14:14:14 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 4:24 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:30 PM Julia Kreger <juliaashleykreger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings fellow ironicans and stackers!
>>
>> I'd like some thoughts on the `ibmc` driver[1] that was added early
>> this year. Specifically it merged into ironic with an operating
>> Third-Party CI, however soon after a series of unfortunate events
>> occurred where the Third-Party CI stopped reporting sometime in early
>> May, and shortly their after restrictions were put into place[2]. With
>> that being said, I feel like we should go ahead and remove this driver
>> since it does not seem to be maintained nor tested.
>

> Do you mean deprecate and remove in V or just straight remove? I'd follow the regular procedure. Otherwise, it seems that we have no other options :(

Either... Kind of why I emailed the mailing list. :) I'd lean for
deprecated and take that route, but maybe someone has interest in
keeping it working

> An interesting topic to discuss is how to avoid such situations when a driver only lives 1-2 cycles..

Knowing a preference may exist for us to avoid the word support, I
feel like it was a preview that didn't pan out. I don't feel that fear
of this happening again should change any of our patterns moving
forward though, since that would be the exact opposite of what is
needed to encourage adoption.

We also have some drivers that do the minimal, some that are engaged,
and some that are kind of like they have a warp drive attached. I'd
love for us to merge the coffee driver as a POC interface to help
people understand mechanics, fwiw. Not that we can have a coffee
machine wired into CI.
"launched" "has_impulse" "has_warp_drive"?

-Julia