Upgrade: Juno -> Pike (or maybe later)

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Thu Dec 12 22:39:42 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> Hey -- I've run a number of OpenStack clouds from multiple vendors for
> several years, now.  But I've *never* done an upgrade.  I've read some
> of the docs, but they don't really make it clear (at least, the ones
> I've thus-far found):
> * If going from Juno to something pretty recent is even feasible

Stuff will probably break, you're talking about upgrading from 11 releases.

There's just SO much that happened in that period of time & transitions.

> * If I have to do intermediate steps along the way

Many, placement extraction, migration to cells v2 are two big ones
that come to mind

> * How likely it is to "just work:" complexity, common issues, etc.

Quite honestly, the complexity is very high of what you're trying to
accomplish and I would seriously consider redeploying your clouds
on new hardware and migrating workloads at this point.

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872
E. mnaser at vexxhost.com