[TC] Election terms

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Dec 6 15:45:53 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-06 06:53:31 -0600 (-0600), Sean McGinnis wrote:
[...]
> The later phrasing of "will be twelve months" is the tricky part
> here, since that is what we ended up publishing. I don't recall it
> being our intent to have a strict 12 month term.

Yep, that's really the present challenge. The TC needs to have
something in the charter which declares a longer (or maybe also
shorter) possible term length. Otherwise they get the default "12
months" from the bylaws. They *can* work with the board to change
that part of the bylaws more easily now, it no longer needs
scheduling a vote of the OSF members and nail-biting over getting
sufficient voter turnout at least, but it does still mean board
meetings and similar lengthy process (compared to bylaws changes
which the TC can in theory propose and approve within a week or so
if they're quick to register their votes on it).

So anyway, there's the rub, if the TC can fix this before March then
the members elected in 2020 Q1 will not be subject to the same
scheduling complications when their terms expire in 2021 Q1, but
we're still going to have to deal with this problem through both
2020 elections I suspect.
--
Jeremy Stanley