openstack cli server stop command

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 15:25:09 UTC 2019

On 12/6/2019 9:06 AM, Ratliff, John wrote:
> Does the openstack server stop command do an ACPI shutdown or does it do
> the equivalent of pulling the power plug?
>
> I want to know if it’s safe to run this command rather than logging into
> the machine and running shutdown (for say a RHEL7 instance).
>
> If it does an ACPI shutdown, what happens if the machine doesn’t
> respond? Is there a command to force the machine off?

The client-side command doesn't have any say in that. On the server
side, it depends. There is an image property "os_shutdown_timeout" which
can override the server-side configured graceful shutdown timeout -
which defaults to 60 seconds. So if you want to control that timeout in
your images you can use the image property. See [1] for details.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/glance/latest/admin/useful-image-properties.html

Matt