[nova][cinder][ops] question/confirmation of legacy vol attachment migration

Brett Milford brett.milford at canonical.com
Fri Dec 6 04:19:45 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 3:54 AM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2019 5:24 AM, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> > I stand by my initial recommendation, being able to update the existing
> > attachment to add the connection information from Nova.
>
> OK, thanks for the input and thoughtfulness on this. I've abandoned my
> change since I'm not going to be pushing this boulder anymore but left
> notes in the change in case someone else wants to pick it up some day.
>
> Note to nova cores: this means we'll have legacy volume attachment
> compat code around forever.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Hi Groka, Cinder & Nova devs,

Following up this thread from the context of
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/579004/

To summarise the discussion:
  - initialize_connection shouldn't be called more than once, as it
may mess up some drivers.
  - To (safely) refresh connection_info a new api for cinder is required.
  - a patch to nova, such as #579004 could make a call to this new api
to refresh connection info on events such as reboot.

Is there any other context to this issue I've missed or an alternate
path to solving this?

Does the creation of a new api for cinder have any implications for
being able to backport this patch for nova?

What would be the process for me to kick off this work?

Thanks for your help,
Brett (bcm)
--
❯ brett