[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-23 Update

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Dec 5 19:06:31 UTC 2019

Hello Everyone,

Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" for R-23 week. We are
in phase-1 which targets all the OpenStack services to drop the py2 support.

Schedule: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/ussuri/drop-py27.html#schedule

NOTE:
Phase-2 is for Library (including client library), QA tooling. Phase-3 is mainly for
openstack/requirement and audit to all repo. (we can always adjust the schedule to
make it smooth migration. For example, dropping a few testing jobs from phase-2/3
candidates if any cross-testing jobs are failing due to phase-1 candidates dropping
the support[1].)

Patches to all services repo have been up for review[2].

The OpenStack services have not merged the py2 drop patches:
* Adjutant
* Barbican
* Designate
* ec2-api
* Glance
* Neutron
* Freezer
* Kolla
* Monasca
* Karbor
* Congress
* Telemetry
* Storlets
* Sahara
* Blazar
* Masakari
* Placement
* Heat (heat-dashboard patch is note merged )
* Tacker
* Trove
* Zaqar
* Quinling
* Manila
* Tricircle
* openstack-helm
* python-openstackclient

The OpenStack services dropped the py2 support:
* Cinder
* Nova
* Ironic
* Keystone
* Octavia
* Watcher
* Vitrage
* Zun
* Winstackers
* Mistral
* Cyborg
* Kuryr
* Cloudkitty
* Murano
* Solum
* Magnum
* Senlin
* Searchlight

* openstack-ansible - I do not think we need any update in openstack-ansible? release notes jobs etc are already on py3.

Rest all projects are targetted for phase-2 (after m-1).

How you can help:
- Review the patches. Push the patches if I missed any repo targetted for phase-1.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-December/011392.html
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:drop-py27-support

-gmann