[External] Re: openstack volume snapshots and deleting

Ratliff, John jdratlif at iu.edu
Thu Dec 5 18:23:09 UTC 2019

Yes, I  tried this second thing, but it doesn't work either.

I created a new instance called test1.example.net.
I created a volume snapshot (test1.example.net_ss1)
I created a volume from that snapshot (vol_from_ss)
I created a volume from the volume that was from the snapshot
(vol_from_vol_from_ss)
I deleted the vol_from_ss (this works)
I deleted the snapshot (this does not work)

If I then delete the vol_from_vol_from_ss volume, I can then delete the
snapshot.

P.S. My openstack cli says the option is --source, not --volume.

Here is my command output.

$ openstack volume list | grep test1
| cc698f20-c56f-47c7-b767-3c554c8cb517 | test1.example.net              |
in-use    |   20 | Attached to test1.example.net on /dev/sda

$ openstack volume snapshot list | grep test1
$ openstack volume snapshot create --volume test1.example.net
test1.example.net_ss1
Invalid volume: Volume cc698f20-c56f-47c7-b767-3c554c8cb517 status must be
available, but current status is: in-use. (HTTP 400) (Request-ID:
req-1ab60e86-3809-4a3b-9ac3-98e7d09ae7e9)

$ openstack volume snapshot create --force --volume test1.example.net
test1.example.net_ss1

$ openstack volume create --snapshot test1.example.net_ss1 vol_from_ss
$ openstack volume create --volume vol_from_ss vol_from_vol_from_ss
usage: openstack volume create [-h] [-f {json,shell,table,value,yaml}]
                               [-c COLUMN] [--max-width <integer>]
                               [--fit-width] [--print-empty] [--noindent]
                               [--prefix PREFIX] [--size <size>]
                               [--type <volume-type>]
                               [--image <image> | --snapshot <snapshot> |
--source <volume>]
                               [--description <description>]
                               [--availability-zone <availability-zone>]
                               [--consistency-group consistency-group>]
                               [--property <key=value>] [--hint <key=value>]
                               [--multi-attach] [--bootable |
--non-bootable]
                               [--read-only | --read-write]
                               <name>
openstack volume create: error: unrecognized arguments: --volume
vol_from_vol_from_ss

$ openstack volume create --source vol_from_ss vol_from_vol_from_ss
$ openstack volume delete vol_from_ss
$ openstack volume snapshot delete test1.example.net_ss1
$ openstack volume snapshot list | grep test1
| 386186e9-6121-4222-b487-3dc026acf70d | test1.example.net_ss1 | None
| available |   20 |

$ openstack volume list | grep 'vol_\|test1'
| ccbfdabe-d2ff-4bbd-a0ef-3b08935fe29a | vol_from_vol_from_ss           |
available |   20 |

| cc698f20-c56f-47c7-b767-3c554c8cb517 | test1.example.net              |
in-use    |   20 | Attached to test1.example.net on /dev/sda

----

$ openstack volume delete vol_from_vol_from_ss