[all][requirements][drop-py27-support] Requirements is dropping cross tests with projects that will be dropping support for python2.7 this cycle

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Dec 4 22:24:24 UTC 2019

> The requirements project is dropping python2.7 cross tests we do for
> those projects that are also dropping python2.7 support this cycle.  We
> are doing this as wel do not know when projects will drop support
> (neutron seems to have done so, cinder is soon as well).  This was
> originally scheduled for later but need to be pushed up as we missed the
> dependency requirements has on those projects for cross jobs.

Just to expand on this a little from the conversation we had in the
requirements channel...

The schedule currently has libraries keeping py2 support until milestone 2,
which isn't until mid-February. So we're in a tough spot here as far as
requirements gating.

We would like to continue testing lib updates with py27 to make sure nothing
breaks. But at the same time, services are no longer gating on py27, so
incompatible changes are creeping in and therefore we are not able to run the
full jobs to exercise the updated lib code under py27.

Hopefully this is a non-issue and most libs have their own testing under py27
that can give a reasonable assurance that things aren't completely broken. It's
a temporary problem, and I'm sure February will be here before we know it and
the issue will completely go away.

In the meantime, please pay attention to lib changes to watch for issues. We
may end up getting to a point where we need to accelerate the timeline (and
probably deal with some broken gates), but I think we should be able to work
through most issues fairly quickly.

Thanks,
Sean