[tripleo][ppc64le] Unexpected Return Code from TripleO Container Build Playbooks on ppc64le

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Dec 4 20:13:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Adam Kimball <baha at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Mike Turek and I have been working to get a ppc64le job to build tripleo
> containers for quite some time now. A few weeks back, we stumbled into a
> strange issue where the containers build job was issuing a return code
> 1, despite all containers successfully building. This has largely
> blocked our ability to push containers up to docker hub or report
> success through the delorean API.
>
> We've been pushing a number of patches to expand the logging of both our
> job, and the tripleo playbooks themselves, to get a better idea of
> what's going on. The most recent was a patch to show which containers
> have python futures that have been throwing exceptions, and why. [1]
>
> The end result of this seems to be that a number of jobs are reporting
> as incomplete. An example of this can be seen at timestamp 20:16:07 of
> an example build log. [2]
>
> However, upon checking the list of successfully built containers [3], or
> the RDO registry itself [4], one can see that the containers producing
> job not complete errors have actually built, and are being uploaded. The
> error log generated by the tripleo playbooks is also empty. [5]
>
> At this point, we're wondering what the path forward is. It seems like
> the issue stems from some unintended behavior in the tripleo playbooks
> themselves, not anything from our job. We're trying to figure out if
> this behavior is something that should be preventing us from reporting
> successful builds, and if so, how it can be fixed.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam Kimball
>

> [1] - https://review.opendev.org/#/c/695723/
> [2] -
>
> https://centos.logs.rdoproject.org/tripleo-upstream-containers-build-master-ppc64le/1803/logs/logs/build.log

In reviewing this, it looks like it's failing on the push to the rdo
registry. Would it be possible to keep a node and manually see what a push
command is doing? For example,

sudo buildah push --tls-verify=False
trunk.registry.rdoproject.org/tripleomaster/centos-binary-mistral-executor:36a84820e51bad57c6bbb92429f3afb3d9da29c2_6e3b098e_ppc64le
docker://trunk.registry.rdoproject.org/tripleomaster/centos-binary-mistral-executor:36a84820e51bad57c6bbb92429f3afb3d9da29c2_6e3b098e_ppc64le

 We output the commands that are being run so I'm wondering if there's some
form of output that's getting eaten.

Thanks,
-Alex