State of the Gate

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 15:12:02 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 01:53:04PM +0000, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 3:29 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Things are great! Surprise! I just wanted to let everyone know. Later!
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > Now that you've been tricked, on Halloween no less, I'm here to tell you
> > that things suck right now. This is your periodic digest of issues. Grab
> > some fun-sized candy bars and read on.
> >
> > I think right now we have three major issues.
> >
> > 1. http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1763070
> >
> > This has resurfaced and I'm not sure why, nor do I think we ever had a
> > great handle on what is causing this or how to work around it so if
> > anyone has new ideas please chip in.
> the only theory i have on that is in the absense of any other indication
> we could be running out of entorpy in the vm which can lead to https
> connections failing. we might want to consider enabling the virtio
> random number generator in
> the gate vms.
> https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/etc/metadefs/compute-libvirt-image.json#L54-L59
> this need to be enabled in the flavours too but low entroy can cass
> ssl connection to fail
> https://major.io/2007/07/01/check-available-entropy-in-linux/

You may be right with lack of entropy is culprit in some issues. E.g. here:
https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/edcf837457a741abb752693723319b15/log/controller/logs/tempest_log.txt.gz#14652
it took 120 seconds to Initialize random number generator on guest VM and
because of that network wasn't configured properly and test failed.

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Senior software engineer