[nova][glance][entropy][database] update glance metadata for nova instance

Jordan Ansell jordan.ansell at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Aug 26 06:18:33 UTC 2019

Hi Openstack Discuss,

I have an issue with nova not synchronizing changes between a glance
image and it's local image meta information in nova.

I have updated a glance image with the property "hw_rng_model=virtio",
and that successfully passes that to new instances created using the
updated image. However existing instances do not receive this new property.

I have located the image metadata within the nova database, in the
**instance_system_metadata** table, and can see it's not updated for the
existing instances, and only adding the relevant rows for instances that
are created when that property is present. The key being
"image_hw_rng_model" and "virtio" being the value.

Is there a way to tell nova to update the table for existing instances,
and synchronizing the two databases? Or is this the kind of thing that
would need to be done *shudder* manually...? If so, are there any
experts out there who can point me to some documentation on doing this
correctly before I go butcher a couple of dummy nova database?

Regards,
Jordan