[all][tc][horizon] A web tool which helps administrators in managing openstack clusters

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 15:36:38 UTC 2019

Keep in mind Keystone's database has what is considered privileged information in it. Notably user passwords (bcrypt or scrypt hashed) and user credentials (encrypted) Even with hashing, it is never recommended to expose these values externally. An example I give is: do you consider password hashes in your shadow file secure enough to publish publically? (The answer should be an emphatic "no"). Keystone also contains in many deployments PII (personally identifying information), while this is not explicitly part of Keystone nor recommended to store in Keystone, there could be other legal ramifications to expose of this data enmasse especially if the data would have been protected via the API.

I highly recommend, with a security hat on, not connecting and interacting with Keystone's database directly for this reason. It is possible, even with an ORM, someone will decide  to develop a mechanism to pull user related information or there may be exposure that can leak arbitrary data from within the DB.

I will also echo concerns that you will have a hard time keeping up across versions with the various database schema changes. For example between stein and train keystone will have added resource options that are intended to communicate immutability for some resources. These are loaded behind the scenes with a join and translated to something usable via code. The referencing keys are minimalist and may be a simple ID or a 4-letter code instead of the full option name. I am sure Keystone is not the only Service that has conventions for data in the Database that do not translate to something useful without being run through the api code.

—Morgan