[all] [tc] [osc] [glance] [train] [ptls] Legacy client CLI to OSC review 639376

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Sat Aug 24 00:31:35 UTC 2019

> It may be that the best we can do is have the
> remaining experts in those areas write up guidelines[0] for the project
> contributors to follow and then pull the experts in to review specific
> edge cases and such.

If that's the best we can do, so be it. But recent events [1] imply that
written guidelines aren't always read/followed /o\

> I don't dislike the idea, but I think the decentralization of these
> things is at least partially a recognition of the fact that the teams
> have shrunk to the point where they can't be responsible for reviewing
> every doc/sdk/cli change across all of openstack (if they ever could in
> the first place).

Right right, the point is to allow them to *just* review the patches
from the point of view of conforming to the overall guidelines without
feeling responsible for deep technical dives. In other words, reduce the
per-patch burden to allow more patches through the pipe.

To give a concrete example, if [2] had been in nova-osc-plugin, an OSC
core could have vetted it for option/argument naming without sweating
the substance of the API interaction, unit tests, etc. So like, a
quarter of the patch rather than all of it.

efried

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-August/008643.html
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/675117/ (pretend this was osc rather