[openstack-dev][magnum] Using Fedora Atomic 29 for k8s cluster

feilong at catalyst.net.nz feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 23 20:34:02 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-24 08:15, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-08-24 08:00:41 +1200 (+1200), feilong at catalyst.net.nz wrote:
> [...]
>> Firstly, I don't know when Fedora Atomic 29 will EOL at this
>> moment, given the Fedora CoreOS 30 is still in testing status.
>>
>> I'm saying at this moment, in production, user can use Fedora
>> Atomic 29.
>
> I see. In the past, Fedora versions have reached EOL around 13
> months from their initial release:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle#Maintenance_Schedule
>
> Fedora 29 was released (slightly behind schedule) at the end of
> October 2018:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/29/Schedule
>
> This means it's likely to be EOL at the end of November 2019,
> roughly 6 weeks after we plan to release Train:
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/train/schedule.html
>
> If users of the Train release of Magnum are expected to rely on a
> feature which will only be available in Fedora 29, then basically
> Magnum will only have a viability of 6 weeks after Train releases
> before those users are stuck running a release of Fedora which has
> no security support from Red Hat. The development cycle for Train is
> rapidly approaching the station, if you'll forgive the simile, with
> coordinated feature freeze only 2 weeks away now. It would be
> unfortunate for Magnum to release something nobody can safely use,
> and it looks to me like time is running out if we want to avoid
> that.
>
> I sincerely hope I'm missing some important detail in all of this,
> and am eager to find out what it is.

I understand that and that's why we worked on the upgrade feature so
that user can upgrade to
a newer version operating system.

Given the Fedora Atomic to Fedora CoreOS is a big jump, I don't know if
the 13 months life is still the case. TBH, I assume it could be longer.

Again, we're working hard on this but we don't have a perfect solution
due to the limited resources.