[tc] Release naming process

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 21 16:15:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

In the previous thread about the U release name, we discussed how the
actual process for selecting the name has diverged from the written
process.  I think it's important that we follow our own processes, so we
should reconcile those.  We should change our actions or change the
process.

Based on the previous discussion, I've proposed 6 changes to
openstack/governance for some initial feedback.  We can, of course,
tweak these options, eliminate them, or add new ones.

Ultimately, we're aiming for the TC to formally vote on one or a small
number of changes similar to these.

I'd like for anyone interested in this to review these options and leave
feedback on the changes themselves, or here on the mailing list.  Either
is fine, and all will be considered.  Leaving "code-review" votes on the
changes themselves will help us gauge relative support for the different
options.

In a week, I'll collect the feedback and propose a next step.

https://review.opendev.org/675788 - Stop naming releases
https://review.opendev.org/677745 - Name releases after major cities
https://review.opendev.org/677746 - Name releases after the ICAO alphabet
https://review.opendev.org/677747 - Ask the Foundation to name releases
https://review.opendev.org/677748 - Name releases after random words
https://review.opendev.org/677749 - Clarify the existing release naming process

The last one is worth particular mention -- it keeps the current process
with some minor clarifications.

-Jim