[openstack-dev] Dropping lazy translation support

Shengjing Zhu zsj950618 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:46:05 UTC 2019

Sorry for replying the old mail, and please cc me when reply.

Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> writes:

> This is a follow up to a dev ML email [1] where I noticed that some
> implementations of the upgrade-checkers goal were failing because some
> projects still use the oslo_i18n.enable_lazy() hook for lazy log message
> translation (and maybe API responses?).
>
> The very old blueprints related to this can be found here [2][3][4].
>
> If memory serves me correctly from my time working at IBM on this, this
> was needed to:
>
> 1. Generate logs translated in other languages.
>
> 2. Return REST API responses if the "Accept-Language" header was used
> and a suitable translation existed for that language.
>
> #1 is a dead horse since I think at least the Ocata summit when we
> agreed to no longer translate logs since no one used them.
>
> #2 is probably something no one knows about. I can't find end-user
> documentation about it anywhere. It's not tested and therefore I have no
> idea if it actually works anymore.
>
> I would like to (1) deprecate the oslo_i18n.enable_lazy() function so
> new projects don't use it and (2) start removing the enable_lazy() usage
> from existing projects like keystone, glance and cinder.
>
> Are there any users, deployments or vendor distributions that still rely
> on this feature? If so, please speak up now.

I was pointed to this discussion when I tried to fix this feature in keystone,
https://review.opendev.org/677117

For #2 translated API response, this feature probably hasn't been
working for some time, but it's still a valid user case.

Has the decision been settled?

--
Regards,
Shengjing Zhu