Some questions about contributing a golang project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Aug 17 18:38:05 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-17 14:34:11 +0800 (+0800), Douglas Zhang wrote:
> My colleagues and me have been working on an openstack admin project(like
> horizon, but more efficient) using Golang, and now we are willing to
> contribute it to openstack community.

Well, just to make sure you understand the culture, you don't really
"contribute [software] to OpenStack" so much as you develop software
within the OpenStack community. OpenStack is about the process of
openly designing and creating infrastructure software, so anything
written in private behind closed doors and then exposed to the light
of day is going to suffer accordingly. Building a community around
and maintaining/improving your project are going to be substantially
more important if the project wasn't a public collaboration from its
very inception.

> While looking through the project creators' guide [1], we have met
> some questions that need to be answered:
>
> As this project is written by go, it is not possible to register
> it on PyPI, would this have any influence? Would openstack
> community accept golang projects as its related projects?

The OpenStack Technical Committee has previously entertained
allowing projects in Go, and voted in favor of a resolution[*] to
that effect. The gist of that decision was that deviating from the
OpenStack language norms (primarily Python with some JavaScript for
Web interfaces and Bash for shell automation) is allowable if it's
done because it's reasonably challenging to meet the goals of the
project otherwise. To restate, I don't know that OpenStack would
accept a project written in Go if the reason it's being asked to do
so is "well, we've already written it and we chose Go because we
like the language." As I said earlier, OpenStack projects are
normally designed and built collaboratively within the OpenStack
community, and any time people have come to us with something they
already wrote outside the community that they want to add, it's
generally not gone that well for a number of reasons.

If it's the case that Go was chosen because the thing you want to
accomplish simply cannot be done (or at least can't be done with the
necessary efficiency) in one or more of OpenStack's primary
languages, we do maintain a Project Testing Interface definition[**]
for Go. It's not been well-exercised and so may still reflect the
state of the Go ecosystem as it was when drafted two years ago, in
which case we welcome help improving it to better represent modern
Go software development expectations.

[*] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170329-golang-use-case.html
[**] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/pti/golang.html

--