[nova] NUMA live migration is ready for review and testing

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 19:28:42 UTC 2019

On 8/9/2019 4:11 PM, Artom Lifshitz wrote:
> tl;dr If you care about NUMA live migration, check out [1] and test in
> in your env(s), or review it.

As I've said in IRC a few times, this feature was mentioned (at the last
summit/PTG in Denver) as being critical for the next StarlingX release
so I'd really hope the StarlingX community can help review and test
this. I know there was some help from WindRiver in Stein which uncovered
some issues, so it would be good to have that same kind of attention
here. Feature freeze for Train is less than a month away (Sept 12).

> So if you care about NUMA-aware live migration and have some spare
> time and hardware (if you're in the former category I don't think I
> need to explain what kind of hardware - though I'll try to answer
> questions as best I can), I would greatly appreciate it if you
> deployed the patches and tested them. I've done that myself, of
> course, but, as at the end of Stein, I'm sure there are edge cases
> that I didn't think of (though I'm selfishly hoping that there
> aren't).

Again the testing here with real hardware is key, and that's something
I'd hope Intel/WindRiver/StarlingX folk can help with since I personally
don't have a lab sitting around available for NUMA testing. Since we
won't have third party CI for this feature, it's going to be important
that at least someone is hitting this with a real environment, ideally
with mixed Stein and Train compute services as well to make sure it
behaves properly during rolling upgrades.

Matt