[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Aug 13 20:53:28 UTC 2019

Jeremy Freudberg <jeremyfreudberg at gmail.com> writes:

> - I did not see in the document about how to determine the geographic
> region (its size etc or who should determine it). This is an
> opportunity for confusion sometimes leading to bitterness (and it was
> in the case of U -- whole China versus near Shanghai).

That's a good question.  The TC decides that before the process starts,
along with setting the dates.  It appears in the table at the end of:

  https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html

The process kicks off with a TC resolution commit like this:

  https://opendev.org/openstack/governance/commit/9219939fb153857ec5f53b986f867fcf4d29ab37

Hopefully at that point everyone is on the same page.  So at least once
the process starts, there shouldn't be any question about the geographic
area.  Of course, this time, there were 3 more commits after that one
changing various things, including the area.

Ideally, we'd set a region and not change it.  But to me, expanding a
region is at least better than reducing it.  So I don't fault the TC for
making that change (and making it in a deliberative way).

Specifying the region in advance was in fact a late addition to the
process and document.  We didn't get that right the first time.  The
first entry in that table (which now says "Tokyo"; this seems
revisionist to me) used to say "N/A" because we did not specify a region
in advance, and it caused problems.

If we keep the document (I hope we don't), I agree that we should add
more text explaining that.

-Jim

> Just some thoughts.
>
> P.S.: Single letter (like "U", "V") doesn't work when we wrap the
> alphabet (as has already been observed), but something like "U21",
> "V22", ... "A27" seems to work fine.

If we can shift it by 2 to get a B-52's tribute release, I can get on
board with that.