[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 17:50:21 UTC 2019

(Put my whatever hat on)
Here's my suggestion, we can either make a patch to clarify the process
step by step (no exception) or simply move everything out of
https://governance.openstack.org/tc
That actually leads to the current discussion here, to just use versions or
not. Personally, I'm interested in improving the document and not that much
interested in making only versions. I do like to see if we can use whatever
alphabet we like so this version can be *cool*, and the next version can be
*awesome*.  Isn't that sounds cool and awesome? :)

And like the idea
Chris Dent propose to just use *U* or *V*, etc. to save us from having to
have this discussion again(I'm actually the one to propose *U* in the list
this time:) )

And if we're going to use any new naming system, I strongly suggest we
should remove the *Geographic Region* constraint if we plan to have a poll.
It's always easy to find conflict between what local people think about the
name and what the entire community thinks about it.

(Put my official hat on)
And for the problem of *University* part:
back in the proposal period, I find a way to add *University* back to the
meet criteria list so hope people get to discuss whether or not it can be
in the poll. And (regardless for the ongoing discussion about whether or
not TC got any role to govern this process) I did turn to TCs and ask for
the advice for the final answer (isn't that is the responsibility for TCs
to guide?), so I guess we can say I'm the one to remove it out of the final
list. Therefore I'm taking the responsibility to say I'm the one to omit
*University*.
During the process, we omitted Ujenn, Uanjou, Ui, Uanliing, Ueihae, Ueishan
from the meet criteria list because they're not the most popular spelling
system in China. And we omitted Urumqi from the meet criteria list because
of the potential political issue. Those are before I was an official. And
we should consider them all during discuss about *University* here. I guess
we should define more about in which stage should the official propose the
final list of all names that meet criteria should all automatically be part
of the final list.

--
May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,

*Rico Lin*irc: ricolin