[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Aug 11 18:03:05 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-11 10:30:32 -0700 (-0700), James E. Blair wrote:
[...]
> I still do believe that it meets all of the criteria.  In particular, it
> meets this:
>
> * The name must refer to the physical or human geography of the region
>   encompassing the location of the OpenStack summit for the
>   corresponding release.
>
> It is short for "University of Shanghai for Science and Technology",
> which is a place in Shanghai.  Here is their website:
> http://en.usst.edu.cn/
[...]

This got discussed after last week's TC meeting during Thursday
office hours, and I'm sorry I didn't think to give you a heads-up
when the topic arose:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2019-08-08.log.html#t2019-08-08T14:59:01

One of the objections raised was that "University" in the name
"University of Shanghai for Science and Technology" was a general
class of place or feature and not a particular place or feature. But
as you pointed out in IRC a while back (and which I should have
remembered), there is precedent with the Pike cycle name:

    Pike (the Massachusetts Turnpike, also the Mass Pike...)

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/P_Proposals#Proposed_Names

Another objection raised is that "OpenStack University" was the old
name for what we now call the OpenStack Upstream Institute and that
it could lead to name confusion if chosen. A search of the Web for
that name last week turned up only two occurrences for me on the
first page of results, both of which were lingering references in
our wiki which I immediately corrected, so I don't think that
argument holds.

Then there was the suggestion that "University" might somehow be a
trademark risk, though in my opinion that's why we have the OSF vet
the preliminary winning results after the community ranks them (so
that the TC doesn't need to concern itself with trademark issues).

It was also pointed out that each time we have a poll with a mix of
English and non-English names/words, an English name inevitably
wins. Since this concern isn't backed up by the documented
process[*] we're ostensibly following, I'm not really sure how to
address it.

Ultimately I was unable to convince my colleagues on the TC that
"University" was a qualifying name, and so it was handled as a
possible exception to the normal rules which, following a poll of
most TC members, was decided would not be granted.

[*] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html
--
Jeremy Stanley