[keystone] Keystone Team Update - Week of 5 August 2019

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Fri Aug 9 23:44:12 UTC 2019

# Keystone Team Update - Week of 5 August 2019

## News

### CI instability update

To follow up from this topic from last week, we came up with a solution[1][2] that at least reduces the size of the unit test log files to an acceptable, non-browser-crashing size. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be the root cause of the frequent timeouts, so it's unclear (to me, at least) whether the issue stems from a problem in our unit tests or if we're just getting unlucky with noisy neighbors. It could be as simple as needing to raise the timeout to account for all the additional protection tests we've added in the past few months.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/673932
[2] https://review.opendev.org/673933

### Call for help

We need help completing the system-scope and default roles policy updates[3][4] before the end of the cycle, as operators cannot safely enable [oslo_policy]/enforce_scope until all of them are completed. For the most part, the task involves updating the scope_types option in the policy and adding a ton of unit tests. The already completed work[5][6] can serve as an example for what's needed.

[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bugs?field.tag=default-roles
[4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bugs?field.tag=system-scope
[5] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bugs?field.status%3Alist=FIXRELEASED&field.tag=default-roles
[6] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bugs?field.status%3Alist=FIXRELEASED&field.tag=system-scope

### PTG attendance and Forum Planning

Based on our poll[7] it's looking like there are not enough keystone-minded people planning to attend the Shanghai PTG to warrant requesting a room, so I will likely tell Kendall that we don't need a room unless something changes very soon.

Even if you won't be attending, please use that etherpad to add topics you would like to see discussed at the Forum. We can use those discussions as a jumping off point for our pre- and post-PTG virtual gatherings.

[7] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-shanghai-ptg

## Office Hours

When there are topics to cover, the keystone team holds office hours on Tuesdays at 17:00 UTC.

We will skip next week's office hours since we don't have a topic planned.

Add topics you would like to see covered during office hours to the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-office-hours-topics

## Open Specs

Train specs: https://bit.ly/2uZ2tRl

Ongoing specs: https://bit.ly/2OyDLTh

## Recently Merged Changes

Search query: https://bit.ly/2pquOwT

We merged 9 changes this week.

## Changes that need Attention

Search query: https://bit.ly/2tymTje

There are 43 changes that are passing CI, not in merge conflict, have no negative reviews and aren't proposed by bots.

### Priority Reviews

* Train Roadmap Stories

- https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bug/1818734 (system scope and default roles)
- https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:implement-default-roles+is:open (system scope and default roles)
- https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bp/whitelist-extension-for-app-creds+is:open (application credential access rules)
- https://review.opendev.org/672120 (caching guide)
- https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/oslo.limit+topic:rewrite+is:open (oslo.limit)

* Needs Discussion

- https://review.opendev.org/618144 (Reparent Projects)
- https://review.opendev.org/674940 (Make policy deprecation reasons less verbose)
- https://review.opendev.org/675303 (Allows LDAP extra attributes to be exposed to the end user)

## Bugs

This week we opened 4 new bugs and closed 4.

Bugs opened (4)
Bug #1839393 (keystone:Low) opened by Matthew Thode https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1839393
Bug #1839133 (keystone:Undecided) opened by Radosław Piliszek https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1839133
Bug #1839441 (keystone:Undecided) opened by Jose Castro Leon https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1839441
Bug #1839577 (keystone:Undecided) opened by Adrian Turjak https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1839577

Bugs fixed (4)
Bug #1773967 (keystone:High) fixed by Jose Castro Leon https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1773967
Bug #1838592 (keystone:High) fixed by Colleen Murphy https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1838592
Bug #1709344 (keystone:Low) fixed by Adrian Turjak https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1709344
Bug #1837741 (oslo.policy:High) fixed by no one https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.policy/+bug/1837741

## Milestone Outlook

https://releases.openstack.org/train/schedule.html

Feature proposal freeze is NEXT WEEK (August 12-August 16). Spec implementations that are not submitted or still in a WIP state by the end of the week will need to be postponed until next cycle unless we agree on an exception.

Code implementing system scope and default roles policy work will be accepted until feature freeze week (September 9-September 13). If you are able, please help by picking up some of these tasks[7][8] or helping to review them (thanks Vishakha for jumping on the endpoint groups policies!).

Final release of non-client libraries is the week of September 2 which allows us about three weeks to both implement and review library changes needed for this cycle.

[7] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bugs?field.tag=default-roles
[8] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bugs?field.tag=system-scope

## Help with this newsletter

Help contribute to this newsletter by editing the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-team-newsletter