[qa][openstackclient] Debugging devstack slowness

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Aug 7 17:16:07 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-08-07 at 10:11 -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:

> On 8/7/19 9:37 AM, Sean Mooney wrote:

> > > It still works and it still helps. Using the osc service cut about 3
> > > minutes off my 21 minute devstack run. Subjectively I would say that
> > > most of the time was being spent cloning and installing services and
> > > their deps.
> > >
> > > I guess the downside is that working around the OSC slowness in CI will
> > > reduce developer motivation to fix the problem, which affects all users
> > > too. Then again, this has been a problem for years and no one has fixed
> > > it, so apparently that isn't a big enough lever to get things moving
> > > anyway. :-/
> >
> > using osc diretly i dont think the slowness is really perceptable from a human
> > stand point but it adds up in a ci run. there are large problems to kill with gate
> > slowness then fixing osc will solve be every little helps. i do agree however
> > that the gage is not a big enough motivater for people to fix osc slowness as
> > we can wait hours in some cases for jobs to start so 3 minutes is not really a consern
> > form a latency perspective but if we saved 3 mins on every run that might
> > in aggreaget reduce the latency problems we have.
>
> I find the slowness very noticeable in interactive use. It adds
> something like 2 seconds to a basic call like image list that returns
> almost instantly in the OSC interactive shell where there is no startup
> overhead. From my performance days, any latency over 1 second was
> considered unacceptable for an interactive call. The interactive shell
> does help with that if I'm doing a bunch of calls in a row though.
well that was kind of my point when we write sripts we invoke it over and over again.
if i need to use osc to do lots of commands for some reason i generaly enter the interactive
mode. the interactive mode already masks the pain so anytime it has bother me in the past
i have just ended up using it instead.

its been a long time since i looked at this but it think there were two reasons it is slow on startup.
one is the need to get the token for each request and the other was related to the way we scan
for plugins. i honestly dont know if either have imporved but the interactive shell elimiates both
as issues.

> That said, you're right that 3 minutes multiplied by the number of jobs
> we run per day is significant. Picking 1000 as a round number (and I'm
> pretty sure we run a _lot_ more than that per day), a 3 minute decrease
> in runtime per job would save about 50 hours of CI time in total. Small
> things add up at scale. :-)
yep it defintly does.

http://logs.openstack.org/05/672805/4/check/tempest-full/14f3211/job-output.txt.gz#_2019-07-26_12_31_04_488228

http://logs.openstack.org/05/672805/4/check/tempest-full/14f3211/job-output.txt.gz#_2019-07-26_12_35_53_445059