[kolla][nova][cinder] Got Gateway-Timeout error on VM evacuation if it has volume attached.

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Tue Aug 6 12:18:45 UTC 2019

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 09:54, Eddie Yen <missile0407 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I met an issue when try to evacuate host.
> The platform is stable/rocky and using kolla-ansible to deploy.
> And all storage backends are connected to Ceph.
>
> Before I try to evacuate host, the source host had about 24 VMs running.
> When I shutdown the node and execute evacuation, there're few VMs failed.
> The error code is 504.
> Strange is those VMs are all attach its own volume.
>
> Then I check nova-compute log, a detailed error has pasted at below link;
> https://pastebin.com/uaE7YrP1
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? I googled but no enough
> information about this.
>
> Thanks!

Gateway timeout suggests the server timeout in haproxy is too low, and the
server (cinder-api) has not responded to the request in time. The default
timeout is 60s, and is configured via haproxy_server_timeout (and possibly
haproxy_client_timeout). You could try increasing this in globals.yml.

We do use a larger timeout for glance-api
(haproxy_glance_api_client_timeout and haproxy_glance_api_server_timeout,
both 6h). Perhaps we need something similar for cinder-api.