[ops] [nova] Problems migrating an instance with libvirt if the image got deleted ?

Massimo Sgaravatto massimo.sgaravatto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:20:59 UTC 2019

Hi

I remember I had problems in the past trying to resize or migrate instances
launched using an image that was then deleted (I use kvm as hypervisor).

This is indeed confirmed e.g. here:

https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2004892
https://docs.openstack.org/operations-guide/ops-user-facing-operations.html#deleting-images

Now I am not able to reproduce anymore the problem, i.e.:

1- I create an image
2- I launch an instance using this image
3- I delete the image
4- I migrate the instance (nova migrate <uuid))

and this works.

Does the migration issue happen only in some particular scenarios ?

My current setup:

- OpenStack version: Rocky
- CenOS 7.x
- qemu-kvm-ev-2.12.0-18.el7_6.5.1.x86_64
- /var/lib/nova/instances not shared amomg compute nodes

Thanks, Massimo