Re: ​[release] (a bit belated) Release countdown for week R-11, July 29 - August 2

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Aug 1 14:33:10 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:28 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 7/31/19 8:21 PM, Kendall Nelson wrote:
> > Hello Everyone!
> >
> > Development Focus
> > -----------------
> > We are now past the Train-2 milestone, and entering the last development
> phase
> > of the cycle. Teams should be focused on implementing planned work for
> the
> > cycle.Now is  a good time to review those plans and reprioritize
> anything if
> > needed based on the what progress has been made and what looks realistic
> > complete in the next few weeks.
> >
> > General Information
> > -------------------
> > The following cycle-with-intermediary deliverables have not done any
> > intermediary release yet during this cycle. The cycle-with-rc release
> model is
> > more suited for deliverables that plan to be released only once per
> cycle.
>
> I respectfully disagree. I will reserve my opinion on whether
> cycle-with-rc
> suits *anyone*, but in our case I'd prefer to have an option of releasing
> something in the middle of a cycle even if we don't exercise this option
> way too
> often.

+1. Kendall's key phrase is "plan to be released once per cycle".

I agree these teams should ask themselves if they plan to only release at
the
end of each cycle.  However, it isn't unreasonable to not plan cycle-based
releases, but release once per cycle by chance.  For example, I think we
would
just release ironic-ui whenever there was something substantial. There just
(sadly) hasn't been anything substantial yet this cycle.

Let's not force anyone to change the model or release a project, please.

// jim