[placement][ptg] Envisioning other technologies

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Apr 29 19:48:10 UTC 2019

On Apr 9, 2019, at 7:04 AM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:

> * Perhaps we might try some parallel development, where resources
>  are modeled in both relational and graph DBs. Then we might be
>  able to compare the different solutions to complex queries on the
>  same data sets.

Listening today to the problems Nova will be facing getting nested providers, NUMA affinity, shared providers, RP distance, and a few others, it was sad because those issues have already been solved using a graph database instead of a relational database. So rather than continue to preach into the void, I’d like to propose a challenge.

Come up with a scenario involving any of the above concerns that is currently not doable in Nova/Placement, and I will come up with a demo that shows how it can be solved using Neo4j and py2neo. My goal isn’t to show off some cool technology; my goal is to convert those of you who are skeptics about anything that isn’t MySQL into believers. So I need an example case for the demo that if you saw it working in action, would convince you to at least take the idea of a graph database solution for placement seriously. And pointing out potential hurdles, such as Neo4j on OpenJDK, or data migrations, or anything else really isn’t helpful right now. I just want to knock your socks off.

In case you missed this last year, here’s some background.
Link to my original demo: https://blog.leafe.com/placement-graph-examples/
Follow-up post to Jay Pipes’s questions: https://blog.leafe.com/graph-database-follow-up/

-- Ed Leafe