[placement][nova][ptg] resource provider affinity

Nadathur, Sundar sundar.nadathur at intel.com
Mon Apr 29 04:56:00 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,
    Hope you saw my email in this thread on Sat.

Using group numbers is not good because [1]:
* Request groups from Neutron for bw provider and from Cyborg device profiles will not have explicit group numbers.
* Neutron/Cyborg devices should be affined with VCPU/memory, but we shouldn't assume the number of the RG that asks for VCPU/memory.
* When those request groups are merged with those from the flavor, the flavor group numbering *could* change. To avoid that, Nova would have to make an explicit guarantee that the Neutron/Cyborg groups get added after the flavor RGs. I am not advocating this.

Also, we need some solution for directed affinitizing of specific number of VMs with NUMA nodes, as mentioned in my earlier email.

[1] Taken from my comment on https://review.opendev.org/#/c/650476/

Regards,
Sundar