[placement][nova][ptg] Protecting driver-provided traits

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Wed Apr 24 22:12:16 UTC 2019

Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote:
>Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> wrote:
>>Well, there's still the small matter of where to include the Venn diagram.

[snipped]

>>the idea of putting it at the bottom of
>>   https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/configuration/schedulers.html#compute-capabilities-as-traits
>>
>>was already rejected, otherwise it would have been there already:
>>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/644293/2/doc/source/admin/configuration/schedulers.rst@1523
>
>Oh, I see. I get Matt's point, though I'm not sure I agree. I suppose the diagram is most useful for developers rather than admins. If there's a way we can put it somewhere permanent (that doesn't have ads) we could link it from code comments?

I really think it belongs in one of our repos rather than an external
SaaS which we can't rely on long-term.  After all it's only a small
SVG.  Code comments could of course refer to an SVG within the repo,
but I suspect that would be too well hidden to be particularly useful.
Perhaps at the PTG we can find somewhere appropriate within the
developer docs.  In fact maybe this is a reasonable location?

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/update-provider-tree.html

>Or find the spec that talks about this and link it from there?

I think I already did that but realistically I don't think that's
discoverable enough to be useful to anyone except a tiny handful who
are occasionally inclined to perform some archaeology ;-)