[Neutron][TripleO] Avoid dangling sidecars containers - add hook support

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 11:09:48 UTC 2019

Dear List,

While doing some validations on an "in-use" node, we detected a
container being Exited with status 137. After some researches and
discussions, it appears this container is launched from a Neutron
container, as a sidecar, and then the service is killed:

https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/agent/linux/external_process.py#L98

While the "kill" is fine outside of a container, it leads to some issues
in a containerized world:
- dangling container is here, with a failed state
- validating container state is therefore complicated
- might lead to false assumption if we don't know that "kill" process
- might lead to disk space issues

In order to sort that bad situation out, and prevent disk space issues
and the like, I propose to discuss about some "hook" addition in that
"external_process.py" (or wherever is more suited for that usage)

There is apparently something like that for the service launch, since
there are wrapper scripts in /var/lib/neutron.
In my idea, that wrapper script could generate a new wrapper used in
order to actually delete the container (instead of kill -9 <pid>).

The neutron code could be modified in a simple way, something like:
###############
if os.path.exists(<wrapper-file>):
  utils.execute(['bash', <wrapper-file>])
else:
# current way to handle things
###############

The <wrapper-file> might have "something" in its name in order to ensure
we're actually killing the right process/container.
self.pid, or maybe some specific string that neutron is aware of... you
get the idea.

Even outside of a container, that might be used in order to clean
temporary configurations/files, and ensure we're actually facing a clean
environment.
It's really something more like "hooks" than "container-centric thingy"

Would you consider that kind of new feature?

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Cheers,

C.

--
Cédric Jeanneret