[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 01:20:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 17:46:15 -0700, Melanie Witt <melwittt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 19:32:57 -0500, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 4/16/2019 7:22 PM, melanie witt wrote:
>>> Today, an ERROR instance that has never been scheduled will consume
>>> cores and ram quota usage
>>
>> Hmm, I wonder if that was also a regression in Pike with counting
>> quotas. Because that usage is not real and arguably shouldn't count
>> against the tenant.
>
> I don't think so, based on hazy anecdotal experience and a look at the
> code which does a quota reservation before scheduling and doesn't appear
> to rollback quota in any failure case in conductor:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/ocata/nova/compute/api.py#L313
>
> I still have my Ocata devstack up, so I'll do a test and reply with the
> results for Ocata, Train, and Train + counting from placement.

Here are the results:

* Ocata behavior, unscheduled ERROR instance consumes quota usage for
instances, cores, and ram: http://paste.openstack.org/show/749406

* Train behavior, unscheduled ERROR instance consumes quota usage for
instances, cores, and ram: http://paste.openstack.org/show/749407

* Train behavior + counting from placement, consumes quota usage for
instances (API database) but not for cores and ram (placement
allocations): http://paste.openstack.org/show/749408

-melanie