[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Apr 16 15:55:29 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019, Chris Dent wrote:

> As as I recall, allocation partitioning (distinct from
> resource provider partitioning) is a way of declaring that a set of
> allocations below to a specific service. This is useful as a way,
> for example, of counting instances spawned via nova. Right now it is
> possible to count vcpus, ram and disk but if something besides nova
> is making allocations using those resource classes how do we
> distinguish?

[snip]

> This functionality is closely tied to resource provider
> partitioning. In a complex placement scenario, where placement is
> managing multiple instance spawning tools, in multiple cloud-like
> things, it seems like both would be needed.

Above discussed at http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-April/004720.html

Both these threads haven't really gone anywhere concrete, yet. Since
I know they've expressed some interest in partitioning in various
ways I've pinged Dan and Mel to join in when they get the chance.

If any operators or people from the Edge or NFV communities want to
chime in here, that would be excellent. If we don't hear anything
before the PTG it will be difficult to prioritize work related to
partitioning in the Train cycle.

Thanks.