[stackalytics] Reported numbers seem inaccurate

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 14:12:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:33 AM Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Julia Kreger wrote:
> > [...]
> > Is it time for us, as a community, to whip up something that helps
> > provide basic insight?
>
> I think we should first agree on what we actually need.

I think this is vital. Things like reviewstats seems to be useful for
review activity but I think there is also an aspect of activity that
comes between releases or between stable branches for project teams.
Statements like "We had x number of contributors during y release
contribute code into z project" and "we observed x percentage change
in activity over the past cycle? The cycle before was z percentage?"
Helps us determine where we are presently so we can chart our future
course. Lots of graphs are pretty, but I think we can all turn numbers
based reporting into pretty aggregate graphs if something is
collecting the dimensions of raw data needed to count lines or to add
numbers in columns.

> A first level would be to extract the data about changes and reviews
> from Gerrit into a query-able system so that we don't have everyone
> hammering Gerrit with individual stats queries. Then people can share
> their "insights scripts" and run them on the same official data.

In my mind, the extracted data could just be data in text files that
could be used with some simple scripting to create useful reporting.
The moderate pain point is collecting all of that data and the point
where things start breaking is repositories that are part of projects
that do are considered released as needed utilities that are not
branched and the branch points can't be used to compare velocity.

> A second level would be to come up with some common definition of "basic
> insight" and produce that data for all teams. Personally I think the
> first level would already give us a lot more confidence and consistency
> in the numbers we produce.

++