[stackalytics] Reported numbers seem inaccurate

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Tue Apr 16 00:33:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, at 17:20, Julia Kreger wrote:
> In working on the project update for Ironic, I too have noticed wild
> inaccuracies.
>
> For one contributor, I found it reported 1 commit for a specific
> contributor in one screen, but when looking at the data differently
> that same user showed four different commits.
>
> Looking at the commit count reporting for ironic-group, it also only
> shows about 200 commits for stein, but when I manually dump the data
> out from the `git log` output I count in excess of 600 commits.
>
> It also reported like 63 contributors for stein, but I get 123 based
> on just the commit log author/co-authored-by data. I totally get that
> there are lots of edge cases to cover in any UI to show insight, but
> the data just does not seem like it is accurately reporting.
>
> Is it time for us, as a community, to whip up something that helps
> provide basic insight?

I too found that stackalytics was wildly unuseful for preparing data for project updates. I started using reviewstats[1] (after learning about it from another thread) which provided a much better starting point. So I don't think we need to whip up something new, we should make that thing better.

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack-infra/reviewstats

Colleen