[osprofiler] Distributed tracing in OpenStack

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Apr 12 14:34:08 UTC 2019

On 4/11/19 9:42 PM, Ilya Shakhat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Distributed tracing is one of must-have features when one wants to track
> the full path of request going through different services and APIs. This
> makes it similar to shared request-id, but with nice visualization at
> the end [1]. In OpenStack the tracing can be achieved via osprofiler
> library. The library was introduced 5 years ago, and back then there was
> no standard approach on how to do tracing and that's why it stays aside
> from what has become a mainstream. Yet there is no single standard, but
> the major players are OpenTracing and OpenCensus communities.
> OpenTracing is represented by Uber's Jaeger which is the default tracer
> from k8s world.
>
> Issues and limitations to be fixed:
> 1. Compatibility. While osprofiler library supports many different
> storage drivers, it has only one way of transferring trace context over
> the wire. Ideally the library should be compatible with other
> third-party tracers and allow traces to start in front of OpenStack APIs
> (e.g. in user apps) and continue after (e.g. in storage systems, or
> network management tools). [2]
> 2. Operation mode. With osprofiler tracing is initiated by user request,
> while in industrial solutions the tracing can be managed centrally via
> dynamic sampling policies.
> 3. In-process trace propagation. Depending on execution model (threaded,
> async) the ways of storing current trace context differ. OSProfiler
> supports thread-local model, which recently got broken with new async
> implementation in openstacksdk [3].

FWIW - we should have re-fixed that issue in SDK for all instances other
than parallel uploading of Large Objects segments to swift. The
parallism support now relies on the calling context's parallism. The
large-object segment uploader is a thing we should make sure we do
things with to make sure we're not losing those interactions.

That said - if we move forward with this plan - let's be sure to make
sure it works in openstacksdk - and that we're testing it so that we
don't break it.

> With OpenTracing it is possible to
> select the appropriate model alongside with tracer configuration.
>
> What's the plan:
> Switching to OpenTracing could be a good option to gain compatibility
> with 3rd-party solutions. The actual change should go to osprofiler
> library, but indirectly affects all OpenStack projects (should it be a
> global team goal then?). I'm going to make a PoC of proposed change, so
> reviews would be highly appreciated.
>
> Comments, suggestions?

Generally supportive. I have specific impl feedbacks - but I'll leave
those on the patches.