[CI] nested virtualization support in OpenStack CI

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 11:48:45 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 01:23 +0000, Guo, Ruijing wrote:
> Hi, Clark
>
> Do you have some guide to create CI based on nested virt? We can try it and see how much gap & stable?
the intel nfv ci is an example of this.

assuming you ment how do i creat a third party ci job this is the basic steps.

in my experience it more or less jsut works however the kernel that ships in ubuntu 18.04 is broken
the ubuntu 16.04 kernel works fine as does the centos 7 kernel
if you build it on ubunut install ukuu and use it to install the unpatched mainline 5.0 kernel.

the kernel in the guest is less important then getting the kernel on the host correct.

on the host you obviorly need to also enable kvm nested virt in the kernel module parmaters.
sean at cloud-5:~$ cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
i belive its on by default as of one of the latest kernel its definetly on by default in 5.0

i enable nested virt via the kernel command line
sean at cloud-5:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.0.0-050000-generic root=/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv ro quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt
console=tty0 serial console=ttyS0,115200n8 hugepagesz=2M hugepages=51200 irqaffinity=0,12,24,36 kvm-intel.nested=1
nfs.enable_ino64=1 nohz_full=1-11,13-23,25-35,37-47 numa_balancing=enable rcu_nocbs=1-11,13-23,25-35,37-47 rcu_nocb_poll
vsyscall=native

the rest is the same as setting up any other ci.

if you ment is the a guide to setting up a job that used nested virt instead of how to create a nested virt ci you can
ignore the above and its reltvly trivial. you just need to set the libvirt virt dirver to kvm in you job config the
issue is on most vms upstream that will cause the build to fail as they dont have nested virt enableded on the host.

there are a small set of nodeset that do have nested virt but for now im currently exploing alternitive to nested virt
for ovsdpdk testing. i have 2 paths that i am currently looking at. first the mttcg qemu backend with libvirt 5.2 via
a fedora based job and second qemu with file based memory.

if they prove unviable ill switch my efforts back to nested virt either via openlab or reaching out to the ci providers
that currnetly provied nested virt vms to the gate and asking there permission to use there nodesets for the testing.

regards
sean