[placement][nova][ptg] Protecting driver-provided traits

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Thu Apr 11 14:10:57 UTC 2019

Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Apr 2019, Eric Fried wrote:
>>Today we've got the principle of "don't do that," which we've expressed
>>in the docs:
>>
>>https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/configuration/schedulers.html#compute-capabilities-as-traits
>>
>>Trying to enforce those principles programmatically beyond what we've
>>already done is going to be tricky, and as long as operators behave and
>>read the docs (even if it's after we've marked their bug report as
>>Invalid with the above link), mork work than benefit.
>>
>>So I'm going to vote "do nothing for now".
>
>I'm kinda there too, but aspiers put the stuff on the etherpad and
>seemed to have some concerns, hopefully he'll join in here.

Not so much concerns as just trying to make sure we don't miss an
opportunity to discuss something in person which seemed to cause
multiple discussions / redesigns over many months.  For example would
it be worth considering tweaking the placement API so that only the
driver can set/unset traits which it owns?  This would avoid the
corner case conflict we currently have where a naughty admin messes
around with driver traits on RPs.

But I'm also fine with "do nothing for now", if that's the current
consensus.  Although perhaps it would be better to at least spend 5
minutes finding a good place in the docs to insert the Venn diagram:

    https://pasteboard.co/I3iqqNm.jpg