[placement][ptg] Containers/dockerfiles

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Apr 10 10:23:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019, Monty Taylor wrote:

> I'd be happy to help you get that set up in placement.

Thanks, if we decide to follow through on this that would be
awesome. And thanks for all the info which I will integrate back
into the summaries when the time comes.

Part of the question surrounding this is whether we want to take on
the responsibility of "owning" container concepts within placement
itself. Unless we wrap it in a bunch of "example" and "there's more
than one way to do it" warnings people have demonstrated a tendency
to take things as gospel (look at the damage some of the ways
devstack managed web services spread around the OpenStack world).

While I'm fairly confident that my little container works well for
me, I'm hoping we can reach some consensus on whether we, the
placement team, want to own such a thing.

I'm tending towards thinking that we should because the potential
educational value outweighs the vague concerns I'm not really able
to enumerate (but the last paragraph below captures, a bit).

As a mostly greenfield development, Placement doesn't have a lot of
legacy weight so it tends to be able to demo:

* good microversion handling
* good http dispatch
* good WSGI app hosting techniques
* minimal config
* good mini-container hygiene

and probably some other things too. There are probably some useful
techniques to pick up there.

On the other hand, there was probably a time when Nova thought it
has some good techniques to pick up and then everyone copied them
and now there is regret. So it might be better that people look for
examples outside of OpenStack, not within, where things tend to move
slowly.