[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:41:29 UTC 2019

On 04/09/2019 10:02 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> So this is referring to resource provider partition (source
>> partition), not consumer type. For the problem of detecting whether an
>> instance is in *this* Nova or another Nova deployment that uses the
>> same placement service, we need a source partition identifier in the
>> resource_providers table.
>
> That's not what I was trying to get at with my comment. What I was
> wonder was:
>
> If there exists a quota for VCPU does it matter how those VCPU are
> being consumed in the entire quota domain? Does it matter if the
> consumption is via nova or some other compute provisioning tool?

Ah, yes, I see now.

I suppose what you're trying to determine is whether there is a viable
use case for answering the question "given a single 'source partition'
-- say, "my compute cloud region A" -- show me the usage of VCPU
resources in my 'nova' compute hosts and my 'non-nova' compute hosts".

I'm just not sure there's a viable use case there.

Best,
-jay