[placement][ptg] Enabling other projects to continue with placement or get started

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Apr 9 16:51:27 UTC 2019

On 4/8/19 6:16 PM, Chris Dent wrote:

>  From the etherpad [1]
>
> * blazar
> * cinder
> * cyborg
> * ironic
> * neutron
>
> Who else?
>
> This is a bit of a catch-many topic. Despite being birthed in Nova,
> Placement is designed to be useful to lots of different services.
>
> There's already some time defined at the PTG to talk about the
> interaction of Ironic, Blazar, and Placement.
>
> What are the issues with that?

 From ironic perspective there is no issue, but there is a critical question to
decide: when Ironic+Placement is used, which of them acts as the final
authority? If Ironic, then we need to teach Placement to talk to its Allocation
API when allocating a bare metal node. If Placement, then we need to support
Allocation API talking to Placement. I suspect the latter is saner, but I'd like
to hear more opinions.

In both cases we'll need something that syncs nodes from Ironic to Placement
when there is no Compute to do it.