[glance][interop] standardized image "name" ?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 8 12:32:55 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-08 03:39:51 +0000 (+0000), Mark Voelker wrote:
> I don’t think I have a perfect answer here, but just to add fodder
> to the discussion: it’s often been suggested in the past that one
> way of dealing with this is to simply ensure that you can bring
> your image to any cloud you work with.  Thus, rather than relying
> on an image to be named the same across the clouds you deal with,
> you can simply provide it yourself on those clouds so you know
> it’s identical.  Many of the caveats to this approach should be
> fairly obvious (footprint, duplication, quotas, format conversion,
> etc), but for some workflows it provides the sorts of useful
> guarantees an end user may want.
[...]

The other problem this works around is that, even if providers offer
similar images under the same names or via the same image property
metadata, there's no guarantee that what's on the images is
identical (same versions of the same set of packages preinstalled
with the same initial configurations, same root filesystem
formatting and parameters, et cetera). I too just upload identical
images to different providers, even for my personal use, so that I
have some increased assurance of parity for the instances I boot
there.
--
Jeremy Stanley