[CI] nested virtualization support in OpenStack CI

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 8 12:21:17 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-08 00:42:46 +0000 (+0000), Guo, Ruijing wrote:
> I like Sean's idea. Can we create jobs based on nested KVM &
> customized OS? If CI is stable enough, we can move non-voting to
> voting.
[...]

There's nothing stopping you (or anyone) from creating such a CI
system to augment reporting on how specific workloads fair with
certain nested virt implementations.

The OpenDev CI system on the other hand is made of a heterogenous
mix of donations from a variety of service providers with various
configurations, and even some of those which advertise via CPU flags
that they offer nested virt acceleration don't provide a stable
implementation of it. There are already projects opportunistically
testing with nested virtualization support turned on in their jobs
to varying degrees of success, so it would be good to find out what
problems their recent experiences reveal. It's also very much the
case that even if it's working for a job today, it can start
crashing jobs randomly tomorrow when a kernel version changes on
guests or on hosts or we add another service provider into the mix.
--
Jeremy Stanley