[all] Removing privacy breaches in doc

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Apr 5 22:06:34 UTC 2019

Hi,

In may docs, I can see stuff like this, especially in README.rst:

.. image:: http://governance.openstack.org/badges/something.svg
    :target: http://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/index.html

I'd like to let everyone know that, from a package maintainer
perspective, and considering that we do package your Sphinx doc in
distros, this is an annoyance. Indeed, I do feel like I must patch it
out and remove the external source.

The reason is, as a Debian user, I do not expect my browser to do
external queries to a website when I'm browsing a local documentation.
This one is on openstack.org, it's mildly ok-ish, though, I'm removing
the image still. There's other more annoying stuff (think: travis,
github, and other spies which we don't control).

So, it'd be nice if these images with external resources were completely
avoided in OpenStack docs. Either by simply not putting such useless
image, replacing it by text only, or by embedding the image itself in
the doc (or in openstackdocstheme? I suspect that's not what people
want, they want it to be displayed in github... so embedding would be
the only solution).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)