[nova] critical bug around reload/upgrades

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 18:20:46 UTC 2019

On 3/28/2019 7:42 PM, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> Looks like some progress has been made but we're pretty confident that this
> is more and more an Oslo.service bug:
>
> Matt & Dan have both left ideas around this with possible solutions on how to
> make a change like this back portable..
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/641907/

Another update on this, but I was trying to recreate the original
reported issue in the nova bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1715374

And I didn't even get to the point of the libvirt driver waiting for the
network-vif-plugged event because privsep blows up much earlier during
server create after SIGHUP'ing the service. Details start at comment 34
in that bug, but the tl;dr is the privsep-helper child processes are
gone after the SIGHUP so anything that relies on privsep (which is
anything using root in the libvirt driver and os-vif utils code now I
think) won't work until you restart the service.

I don't yet know if this is a regression in Stein but I'm going to
create a stable/rocky devstack and try to find out.

Matt