[nova] super long online_data_migrations

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:42:00 UTC 2019

On 04/01/2019 05:30 AM, Surya Seetharaman wrote:
> I don't know if there is a good way by which we can persistently store
> the state of finished migrations to ensure they are not executed ever
> again (as in not having to make the query) once done.
> It would also be nice to also be able to opt-in into specific migrations
> specially since these span over releases.

Well, that's another problem with not doing data migrations inside an
Alembic/sqlalchemy-migrate migration script... you have to re-execute
the query over and over again to see if a migration is necessary. If the
data migrations were in the Alembic/sqlalchemy-migrate script, then the
migrate_version DB table could be used to determine if a migration was
done and none of this would be an issue.

Best,
-jay