[nova][cinder] Why can't nova in stein work with cinder from queens?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:18:13 UTC 2018

On 11/28/2018 11:40 AM, Jay S Bryant wrote:
> We discussed this in our team meeting today and it appears that the
> source of the problem is a misunderstanding based on Sean's commit message.
>
> Sean had made that comment because we only test N with N-1.  So, that is
> the only tested configuration.  There is no reason that we know of,
> however, that using Nova with older versions of Cinder wouldn't work.
> Assuming that versioning works the way that it is supposed to, then
> other combinations should work.  We, however, don't recommend using
> combinations other than Nova at N and Cinder at N-1 as that is what is
> tested.
>
> Let me know if you have further questions.

Cool, thanks Sean/Jay for discussing it.

As noted in the original email, I want to remove the old Cinder Queens
compat code from the compute API in Stein anyway, so I plan on doing
*something* there, at least dropping it and providing a release note -
at most maybe a nova-status upgrade check to make sure Cinder 3.44 is
available before upgrading to Stein.

Matt