[oslo] [config] Using environment variables for config options

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Sat Nov 24 12:13:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, Moises Guimaraes de Medeiros wrote:

> Have you thought on how to populate options of type ListOpt like
> DEFAULT/config_source?

We discussed that briefly on the spec [1] and the (temporary?)
resolution there was:

* Let's wait to figure that out until someone really wants to do
   that. The thinking being that if they want to use the complex Opt
   types, using environment variables for setting them may not be the
   right choice.
* "that may just be another reason to not use those types of
   options"

Basically, we'll cross that bridge when someone has a demand for it.
My specific need was to be able to control String and Bool Opts
which gets many, if not most, of the common things one might like to
change _per instance_ of the service.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/576860/